[Samba] Potential inconsistency in Samba DNS server when used with `samba-tool domain join`

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 3 20:38:11 UTC 2021

I think there might be a problem with using `samba-tool domain join` to
join a domain, as I've noticed some inconsistencies in whether or not
the new client is picked up by DNS. Presently:

root at atomsmasher:~# net ads leave -U Administrator
Password for [EA\Administrator]:
Deleted account for 'ATOMSMASHER' in realm 'EA.LINUXCS.COM'

But

root at samba-dc:~# host atomsmasher
atomsmasher.ea.linuxcs.com has address 192.168.1.82

root at samba-dc:~# samba-tool computer list
DATA2$
IBS100$
SAMBA-DC$

How do I get the machine out of the Samba DNS so that I can see if what
I observed previously is repeatable? I noticed I didn't have a DNS entry
for this host, so left and rejoined the domain using samba-tool several
times, never getting a DNS entry for it.  Then I joined using `net ads
join` and it was in DNS immediately. I want to see of this is repeatable.

I might have to abandon Samba DNS and install bind as per Louis'
recommendation.  I'm finding the Samba DNS to be hard to work with since
there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with it directly.