[Samba] recycle bin (set) icon

Nick Couchman nick.e.couchman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:19:41 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 4:17 PM Patrick Goetz via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the recycle bins on QNAP/Synology NAS devices are a
> construct of their customized linux interface and have nothing to do
> with Samba. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Samba has no
> mechanism for such a construct.  This is why when you delete an item
> from a network share on Windows it doesn't go in the trash but is just
> "permanently removed" as you're warned when doing this.

This isn't entirely accurate - Samba actually has a VFS Recycle module that
intercepts the delete calls and moves the files to a folder, with several
configurable options. I've used it in the past with great success - it
tends to be a good supplement to both good, solid backups, and filesystem
snapshots.

How they accomplish the custom icons, I'm not entirely sure.

-Nick