[Samba] Potential inconsistency in Samba DNS server when used with `samba-tool domain join`

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:25:29 UTC 2021

Hi Louis -

On 11/4/21 03:50, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai,

My bad for not having read through the entirety of
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/samba-tool.8.html

So, I can manage the DNS entries for Samba DNS by hand. That should
probably be mentioned in the Wiki here:
   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/The_Samba_AD_DNS_Back_Ends
If no one beats me to it, I'll add some stuff to this page over the weekend

However, shouldn't the DNS entry for a client be removed automatically
when the client leaves the domain?

root at atomsmasher:~# net ads leave -U Administrator
Password for [EA\Administrator]:
Deleted account for 'ATOMSMASHER' in realm 'EA.LINUXCS.COM'

root at samba-dc:~# samba-tool dns query samba-dc ea.linuxcs.com
atomsmasher A -UAdministrator
Password for [EA\Administrator]:
   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
     A: 192.168.1.82 (flags=f0, serial=110, ttl=3600)

But in any case, I can now proceed with testing.  Thanks!