[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Thu Jun 24 13:14:12 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 10:30 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 04:58 -0400, Eric Levy via samba wrote:
> >
> > I am attaching smb.conf. I have made no manual changes, in part for
> > reasons that would be obvious once examining the file. The NAS
> > administration utility may have made changes based on settings I
> > selected.
> >

> Typical Synology smb.conf, it is for a standalone server, which means
> no winbind. It still uses 'smbpasswd' for the passdb, even though it
> has been deprecated for years. The 'admin users' line is useless,
> 'Domain Admins' is unknown to a standalone server.
>
> Synology takes the Samba code and adds to it, they do not make these
> additions public, so anything could be going on here. They also do
> not
> seem to want anyone to manually alter the smb.conf. I think it might
> be
> worth contacting Synology and ask them for advice.
>
> Rowland

I contacted Synology previously and exchanged messages over the course
of a month about achieving the desired effect. The support team never
returned any helpful advice. The technicians seemed not to understand
any kind of mount other than for a very simple single-user case, which
is unfortunate, because the device itself carries a variety of features
targeted for a small-business deployment.

As follows is a comment given by Synology support:

   Specific instructions for mounting or adjusting permissions on
   client devices is outside of our support scope, however for specific
   instructions how to mount an SMB share on your linux VM, you could
   check with the documentation for that particular OS, or there are
   various general instructions on the web how to mount a smb share in
   linux.

No mention was made of using a forked Samba code base. It may be used,
but the topic was not mentioned. The tone of the conversation was to
imply that it is the customer's responsibility to discover how to use
the protocols and services in an appropriate way for the particular
deployment. As such, this channel is currently my last line of support
on this matter.

It might help at least if I would receive advice on the subject,
putting aside the question of customization to the Samba code base. If
it is possible to achieve the configuration using standard versions of
Samba, then it is at least worth trying the same method with the
Synology device.