[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 24 13:29:34 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 09:14 -0400, Eric Levy via samba wrote:

> I contacted Synology previously and exchanged messages over the
> course
> of a month about achieving the desired effect. The support team never
> returned any helpful advice. The technicians seemed not to understand
> any kind of mount other than for a very simple single-user case,
> which
> is unfortunate, because the device itself carries a variety of
> features
> targeted for a small-business deployment.
>
> As follows is a comment given by Synology support:
>
>    Specific instructions for mounting or adjusting permissions on
>    client devices is outside of our support scope, however for
> specific
>    instructions how to mount an SMB share on your linux VM, you could
>    check with the documentation for that particular OS, or there are
>    various general instructions on the web how to mount a smb share
> in
>    linux.
>
> No mention was made of using a forked Samba code base. It may be
> used,
> but the topic was not mentioned. The tone of the conversation was to
> imply that it is the customer's responsibility to discover how to use
> the protocols and services in an appropriate way for the particular
> deployment. As such, this channel is currently my last line of
> support
> on this matter.

Sheesh, that is the worst customer service I have heard of for a long
time. What I do not understand is, why do people buy their products ?

> It might help at least if I would receive advice on the subject,
> putting aside the question of customization to the Samba code base.
> If
> it is possible to achieve the configuration using standard versions
> of
> Samba, then it is at least worth trying the same method with the
> Synology device.

Running Samba as a standalone server is akin to running a Windows PC in
a workgroup, so this is what I would try:

Use the same workgroup name on all machines.
Create the same users and groups on all machines, ensure that the users
have the same password everywhere.

Rowland