[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 24 09:30:24 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 04:58 -0400, Eric Levy via samba wrote:

> I am attaching smb.conf. I have made no manual changes, in part for
> reasons that would be obvious once examining the file. The NAS
> administration utility may have made changes based on settings I
> selected.

Typical Synology smb.conf, it is for a standalone server, which means
no winbind. It still uses 'smbpasswd' for the passdb, even though it
has been deprecated for years. The 'admin users' line is useless,
'Domain Admins' is unknown to a standalone server.

Synology takes the Samba code and adds to it, they do not make these
additions public, so anything could be going on here. They also do not
seem to want anyone to manually alter the smb.conf. I think it might be
worth contacting Synology and ask them for advice.

Rowland