[Samba] Missing deprecations from CHANGELOG 4.14

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 26 13:36:25 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 15:00 +0200, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via
samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in preparation for the upcoming samba 4.15 release Ive upgraded all
> my
> debian servers from 4.13 to 4.14.
>
> Ive read all changelogs and nothing stood out, so I went ahead and
> (seemingly) everything worked fine.
>
> 2 days later I noticed that client connections to an old Mac OS 10.6
> Server via samba wont work anymore: error "smb_signing_good: BAD
> SIG:
> seq 1". These old servers can only use SMB1 and should be dismantled
> soon (tm). We're using a PHP lib with php7.4-smbclient to access
> them.
>
> There was nothing in the release notes (linked here
> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.14.0.html) for SMB1
> deprecations or somethings like that. But downgrading to 4.13 solved
> the
> problem!
>
> Digging deeper I found that in the RC release notes (e. g.
> https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/rc/4.14.0rc/samba-4.14.0rc4.WHATSNEW.txt)
> there were a lot more deprecations regarding SMB1. These are somehow
> missing from the final release notes!
>
> Upgrading back to 4.14 and setting all the deprecated parameters
> from
> the RC-changelog didnt solve my problem though.
>
> The lib (https://github.com/icewind1991/SMB/) Im using can either
> use
> the php module or the smbclient binary directly. Switching to the
> binary
> (without any smb.conf changes!) solved the problem! So it seems like
> there is a compatibility problem in the PHP module... This module is
> from deb.sury.org and out of your control (I think).
>
> Could you please add the SMB1 deprecations from the RC changelog to
> the
> final changelog? Thanks!

The problem is that the minimum protocols were changed to SMBv2 at
4.11.0 and a lot of the SMBv1 parameters were deprecated at 4.13.0

Then when 'WHATSNEW.txt' was created for 4.14.0rc4, it relied heavy on
the WHATSNEW.txt for 4.13.0, too heavily in fact, because it contained
most of the contents of the 4.13.0 one. The old parts from the 4.13.0
file were removed from the 4.14.0 one when it was released, that one is
the one to read.

Rowland