[Samba] Q: Upgrading samba from 4.9 to 4.13

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Wed Jan 20 20:56:18 UTC 2021

On 1/20/2021 10:33 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

>> On my test setup I'm on Samba 4.10.18 & Stretch.
>>
>> Now... 4.11 needs Buster from what I understand.
>>
>> Wouldn't I need to move to Buster first before going from
>> 4.10-Stretch to 4.11-Buster?
>>

>> --
>

> if your now on 4.10 and stretch, now upgrade to buster and samba 4.10
> Thats the most easy step.
>
> from there you can upgrade samba..
>
> small side note, 4.13.3 is not life, im testing it, but i need to change
> a thing in the packageing.
> its planned for next week or next samba release, depending on the time i have.
>
> Really busy here at my side due corona..
> :-/
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Thanks for the advice.  I don't know if it makes sense
for the list, but.....

Starting with Debian-Stretch and Samba-Stretch410, I
changed all the references from "stretch" to "buster"
in sources.list, sources.list.d/main.list &
sources.list.d/van-belle.list.

Then I ran:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

However, when I try to run

apt-get full-upgrade
or
apt-get dist-upgrade

I noticed that all the samba packages are being removed.
If I go ahead and run the command (including
--autoremove and --purge), then upon reboot samba
is gone... poof.

Should I be going from Stretch-samba49 -> buster-sabma410
instead of Stretch-samba410 -> buster-sabma410?
Am I missing some command syntax?

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks