[Samba] Q: Upgrading samba from 4.9 to 4.13

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jan 21 09:25:57 UTC 2021

All goed.

> Then I ran:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade -dy
I recomment that.
That makes sure all needed packages for upgradeing are on the server.
apt-get dist-upgrade

> However, when I try to run
>
> apt-get full-upgrade
> or
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> I noticed that all the samba packages are being removed.
yes, because, what i said.
Samba is heavy bounded on few dependecies, and if one old is not removed
Poof.. but no no worries, if you install samba back its all good again..

> If I go ahead and run the command (including
> --autoremove and --purge), then upon reboot samba
> is gone... poof.
>
> Should I be going from Stretch-samba49 -> buster-sabma410
> instead of Stretch-samba410 -> buster-sabma410?
> Am I missing some command syntax?
No that is fine, but you can set it to buster-samba411  and it will be upgraded. ( incl libldb )

still if it is removed, just install it back after the upgrade.
No need to change anything else, samba is installed again and will use the old data and settings.

> Where am I going wrong?
Nothing, but you can avoid that samba will be removed.
It's because libldb from stretch is not up upgraded. ( or removed at dist-upgrade )

Greetz,

Louis