[Samba] ../../source4/libcli/dgram/browse.c:106(dgram_mailslot_browse_parse) followed by NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL

Bas W. Auer bas.auer at auerplace.nl
Tue Aug 10 16:15:34 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I have a question about an error I get after upgrading SAMBA 4.11.6 to
4.12.0 and further.

First a little history up front.

I had a Centos 7 SAMBA 4.11.6 server running, but because of the EOL of
Centos 7 and the strange shift of RedHat with Centos I couldn't upgrade
SAMBA and couldn't upgrade Centos, so I decided to switch to my
favourite OS, Ubuntu.

So I created an Ubuntu 20.04 server, and installed Samba 4.11.6 with the
same configure string. (Followed the samba wiki by the letter)

Then I joined this new machine to the Centos 7 SAMBA AD again following
the wiki page. Everything turned out perfectly. Brought both machines in
sync, again following the samba wiki. Everything worked as supposed.

Then I demoted the old Centos 7 SAMBA AD and removed all pointers to
that machine on the new Ubuntu 20.04 SAMBA AD. (Again following the
samba wiki)

The demotion worked, the old machine I shutdown and I started testing.
Everything works like a charm. No errors, I can create users, dns
entries etc.

After a few days of working with this new setup, still no errors, I
decided that I could and should upgrade SAMBA to the newest version. Not
with a bang, but in steps. Going from 4.11.6 to 4.12.0 etc to finally
end with the latest version in a few weeks.

The upgrade went perfect (I think) and everything started as supposed
to. Again I could create a user, add DNS entries, remove them etc. No
errors or what so ever. Until 10 minutes after (re)starting SAMBA 4.12.0.

I get the following errors after approx. 10 minutes after staring and it
repeats every +/- 10 minutes.

../../source4/libcli/dgram/browse.c:106(dgram_mailslot_browse_parse)
Failed to parse browse packet of length 32: NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL

I looked every where for an answer, but I couldn't find any answer that
helped.

I probably missed something in the upgrade, but I don't know where to
look, as I think I looked everywhere.

I hope someone in this community can help me.

--

Best regards, Met vriendelijke groet,

Bas Auer