[Samba] - Server reboot taking time when winbind service on-line.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 10 10:44:39 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-08-10 at 15:40 +0530, suresh b via samba wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> My client has an issue with  the zone running winbind has some
> problems
> starting.
> it takes a lot of time to boot (forever) and login via ssh takes
> minutes
> when winbind is enabled.

It looks like you are using Samba 4.13.1, so you must use winbind if
you are using 'security = ADS' on a domain joined computer.

> After disabling "winbind" service booting fast.
>
> I could see there is no issue in samba configuration.

Yes there is :-)

'nbt client socket address' is deprecated, try replacing it with 'bind
interfaces only = Yes'

> OS version is : Solaris 11.4 SRU 32
>
> ==================
> [global]
>         interfaces = xx.xx.xx.xx
>         log file = /var/samba/log/%m.log
>         max log size = 100
>         nbt client socket address = xx.xx.xx.xx
>         realm = WEB.NET.IN
>         security = ADS
>         server max protocol = NT1

Why are you using NT1 ?

>         server string = Samba (%v) auf %h
>         unix extensions = No
>         username map script = /etc/samba/usermap.sh

What is in 'usermap.sh'

>         workgroup = NETWORK
>         idmap config network : range = 50000-999999
>         idmap config network : backend = rid
>         idmap config * : range = 30000-39999
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         hosts allow = 10. 127. localhost
>         include = /etc/samba/smb_kaetest.conf

What is in the include file

>         invalid users = root daemon bin sys adm lp uucp nuucp smmsp
> listen
> sshd instadm noaccess nobody4 svctag postgres webservd gdm
>         wide links = Yes
> ==================
>
> Is this good to disable winbind service in order to avoid any samba
> share
> issue?

No, you will get no share access without winbind.

> See the below error in log.smbdd.
>
> [2021/05/07 17:27:27.552185,  2]
> ../../source3/lib/dmallocmsg.c:78(register_dmalloc_msgs)
>   Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
> [2021/05/07 17:32:40.334823,  0]
> ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd.c:1784(main)
>   winbindd version 4.13.1 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2020
> [2021/05/07 17:32:40.345937,  2]
> ../../source3/lib/tallocmsg.c:84(register_msg_pool_usage)
>   Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
> [2021/05/07 17:32:40.346075,  2]
> ../../source3/lib/dmallocmsg.c:78(register_dmalloc_msgs)
>   Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED

There doesn't seem to be an error there, just winbind starting.

> Any change has to be done from the winbind source file?

I do not think so, I think it is probably a configuration error.

Rowland