[Samba] authenticate to samba using email address

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 30 07:48:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 12:13 +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 29/10/2020 12:05, mj via samba wrote:
> > dns in the above sample meaning the samba AD dns name, i guess..?
> >
> > In that case, that basically means username at samba.domain.com, or
> > username at realm, which also equals the above)
> >
> > That is still something for our end users to remember specifically
> > (and use only) when accessing the domain member fileservers.
> >
> > I was actually hoping someone knew a clever way to make
> > username at domain.com work for samba access.
>
> You are authenticating to AD, so you need to use information that AD
> understands, its dns domain (not an email domain) and the users name,
> or
> the Netbios domain\username.

The UPN can be in a different domain.  For full trust routing in
complex forests you need to fill in a table somewhere, but Samba
doesn't really care, it just searches for it as a string.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team  https://samba.org