[Samba] authenticate to samba using email address

Bernhard Dick bernhard at bdick.de
Thu Oct 29 14:27:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 29.10.2020 um 14:19 schrieb Marco Gaiarin via samba:
> Mandi! Rowland penny via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> You are authenticating to AD, so you need to use information that AD
>> understands, its dns domain (not an email domain) and the users name, or the
>> Netbios domain\username.
>
> But UPN is written 'domainful', eg 'username at ad.domain.name':
>
> 	root at vdcsv1:~# ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb -b "DC=ad,DC=fvg,DC=lnf,DC=it" "sAMAccountName=gaio" userPrincipalName | grep ^userPrincipalName:
> 	userPrincipalName: gaio at ad.fvg.lnf.it
>
> but because is domainful, can be a generic (rather obviously, unique)
> email?
normally you can add custom UPN-Suffixes in your AD and assign them to
users. That's also the way I'd propose here.

1. Add UPN-Suffix for you mail-domain (Within the AD Domain and Trust
settings)
2. Set UPN including suffix for the users accordingly (User logon name
and suffix in Users properties from AD users and computers)
than you users can login using username at maildomain

   Best regards
     Bernhard Dick