[Samba] authenticate to samba using email address

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:03:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 7:37 AM mj via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps a strange question, but is it possible to configure samba to
> accept an emailaddress as a username for authentication to a UNC network
> path?

It would be.... well, like running a gasoline motor on diesel fuel,
The underlying Kerveros is *not* based on handling email address to
identify credentials, and usernames with '@' characters in them will
break utilities like SSH where 'username at hostname" means "log in as
this username at that hostname".

> (so: "username at domain.com" next to the standard "DOMAIN\username" or
> "username at samba.domain.com")
>
> Some of our users access a samba UNC network path over VPN, while
> working from home. They often have difficulties remembering the correct
> username format.

Yeah. "DOMAIN" is the name of the LDAP domain, and need not have
anything to do with anything else in the world.

> If we could somehow arrange for emailaddress to work too, it would align
> samba authentication to the rest of our external logons, like websites,
> email, VPN, etc. All of those use emailaddress as a username.

There are multi-factor authentican vendors who support this, you log
in with your email addres at the corporate website and get a token for
other services. But it has its own issues and limitations.