[Samba] Samba AD with multiple DC and multiple NICs

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 20 19:13:25 UTC 2020

On 20/10/2020 19:56, Christian Naumer via samba wrote:

> Am 20.10.20 um 19:36 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
>> On 20/10/2020 17:46, Stefano Vargiu wrote:
>>> Sorry, I don't get it.
>>>
>>> You mean a domain member as opposed to a domain controller?
>>> In which way is it going to help?
>>>
>> You should really only use a Samba AD DC for authentication, so the best
>> idea would be to add a Unix domain member to the domain and install
>> openvpn or freeradius or some other program that will do what you
>> require. This is know to work and I am sure, if you do decide to go down
>> this path, that you will get help here.
> I don't think this is what the OP wanted to do. He wanted to connect two
> DCs in two different offices with a VPN.
>
> However, the way he wanted to do it (Rowland is absolutely correct here)
> is not possible in AD. As he has used the same subnets on the the two
> sites if I understand this correctly.
> You need two different subnets at your two sites. You router/firewall
> needs to connect the two sites and route the traffic from one two the
> other DC. They need to have different IPs.
>
> REgards
>
> Christian

If that is what the OP wants, then yes, I did totally misunderstand :-[

But apart from that, everything else I said was correct. If the DC's are
at separate places, then not only does he need to use different subnets,
he needs to use different 'sites' in AD and probably 2 DC's at each site.

I have never done what is being proposed, but I think the idea is that
you set up VPN between the two locations and then the the two DC's talk
to each other down the VPN link.

Rowland