[Samba] Easy way to create missing bind-dns/named.conf and BIND9_DLZ libs?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 28 07:25:01 UTC 2020

On 28/05/2020 05:14, Don Kuenz via samba wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> bind914-9.14.6 and bind-tools-9.14.6 were built and installed on a new
> FreeBSD 12.1 samba DC. Then a prebuilt samba410-4.10.13 package was
> installed. Both bind-dns/named.conf and BIND9_DLZ libs are missing.
Is this using the ZFS filesystem ?

If so, how ?

What do you mean by 'a prebuilt samba410-4.10.13 package was installed' ?

Did you provision a new DC or join an existing domain, or something else ?

> Is Samba or ISC-BIND supposed to install the missing DLZ components?
Samba installs the required files at provision or join, provided you
tell samba-tool to do it.
> If Samba's responsible, can it only be accomplished by a (lengthy)
> compile/link/install process or is there an easier, quicker way?

It isn't really Samba's responsibility, it is yours, but if you didn't
do it at provision or join, then you can run 'samba_upgradedns'.

One thing I should point out, Samba isn't aware of Bind 9.14 (yet), so
when it comes to the named.conf that is created for you, use the last
version (9.12) instead.

Rowland