[Samba] Easy way to create missing bind-dns/named.conf and BIND9_DLZ libs?

Don Kuenz mail at crcomp.net
Thu May 28 14:40:15 UTC 2020

Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On 28/05/2020 05:14, Don Kuenz via samba wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> bind914-9.14.6 and bind-tools-9.14.6 were built and installed on a new
>> FreeBSD 12.1 samba DC. Then a prebuilt samba410-4.10.13 package was
>> installed. Both bind-dns/named.conf and BIND9_DLZ libs are missing.
> Is this using the ZFS filesystem ?
>
> If so, how ?
>
> What do you mean by 'a prebuilt samba410-4.10.13 package was installed' ?
>
> Did you provision a new DC or join an existing domain, or something else ?
>

>> Is Samba or ISC-BIND supposed to install the missing DLZ components?
> Samba installs the required files at provision or join, provided you
> tell samba-tool to do it.
>> If Samba's responsible, can it only be accomplished by a (lengthy)
>> compile/link/install process or is there an easier, quicker way?
>
> It isn't really Samba's responsibility, it is yours, but if you didn't
> do it at provision or join, then you can run 'samba_upgradedns'.
>
> One thing I should point out, Samba isn't aware of Bind 9.14 (yet), so
> when it comes to the named.conf that is created for you, use the last
> version (9.12) instead.

To install a package FreeBSD you can either compile it from scratch, or
install as a binary built by someone else.

My server does not use the ZFS system. And it was provisioned into an
existing domain.

"Samba installs the required files"
"samba_upgradedns"
"use the last
> version (9.12) instead"

is all music to my ears, especially "samba_upgradedns." Your kind reply
prevents me from "barking up the wrong tree," and wasting time searching
for answers in ISC-Bind instead of samba.

Danke,
--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;