[Samba] smbd fails to start after upgrade to version 4.11.6

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 15:19:57 UTC 2020

On 05/02/2020 11:42, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 05/02/2020 10:33, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
>>> I didn't bother checking, I can cause the panic just by editing
>>> smb.conf, adding the two lines in question and then
>>> restarting Samba. I
>>> do this over SSH, so presumably the network is up on eth0 ;-)
>> Ah, ok, so we clearly have bug in samba???
>> But i dont see this one on Debian Buster (amd64)..
>> I just checked one of my production servers and it work fine..
> Neither do I, I am typing this on a Devuan boewulf (you know this as
> buster) using your 4.11.6 packages. It also has an eth0 and wlan0
> packages (I am using wlan0) and this works
>>
>> Rowland, can you check the pi with the Debian Buster armhf packages?
>> Or Dirk, can you test this on Debian Buster.
>>
>> Its only about these 2 lines.
>>
>>      interfaces = lo eth0
>>      bind interfaces only = yes
>>
>> ( if needed correct eth0 to your interface name )
>>
>> I want to know if this is only on Raspbian buster or also on Debian
>> Buster armhf .
>
> What I can fairly easily do is, dig out my very long ethernet cable
> and use eth0 instead of wlan0. I could then try using the lines and
> see if this works.
>
> Rowland

OK, my computer is now running on eth0 and has the two lines in smb.conf
and it works.

So, a few thoughts based on what we already know:

It seemingly only occurs on a Raspberry pi

It only occurs if the Samba version is 4.11.x (is this true ?)

It seemingly only occurs if the eth0 interface is being used (again is
this true ?)

We need to know if this happens with the standard Raspbian Samba
packages, I think I will post on the Rpi forum and ask.

Rowland