[Samba] smbd fails to start after upgrade to version 4.11.6

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 11:42:57 UTC 2020

On 05/02/2020 10:33, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

>> I didn't bother checking, I can cause the panic just by editing
>> smb.conf, adding the two lines in question and then
>> restarting Samba. I
>> do this over SSH, so presumably the network is up on eth0 ;-)
> Ah, ok, so we clearly have bug in samba???
> But i dont see this one on Debian Buster (amd64)..
> I just checked one of my production servers and it work fine..
Neither do I, I am typing this on a Devuan boewulf (you know this as
buster) using your 4.11.6 packages. It also has an eth0 and wlan0
packages (I am using wlan0) and this works

> Rowland, can you check the pi with the Debian Buster armhf packages?
> Or Dirk, can you test this on Debian Buster.
>
> Its only about these 2 lines.
>
>      interfaces = lo eth0
>      bind interfaces only = yes
>
> ( if needed correct eth0 to your interface name )
>
> I want to know if this is only on Raspbian buster or also on Debian Buster armhf .

What I can fairly easily do is, dig out my very long ethernet cable and
use eth0 instead of wlan0. I could then try using the lines and see if
this works.

Rowland