[Samba] Changing IP Scope on a Samba DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 29 06:21:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-08-28 at 21:02 -0700, Peter Pollock via samba wrote:
> I've asked a couple of other questions on here, which people have
> kindly
> answered and I'm waiting for the opportunity to implement what they
> have
> suggested.
>
> In the meantime:
>
> We are running out of IP addresses!
> We currently use 192.168.2.0/24 and it's proving to not be enough
> addresses.
>
> I'm considering changing to 192.168.4.0/22 to virtually quadruple the
> number of addresses we have available and hopefully keep us in
> available
> addresses for years to come.
>
> My question is: how hard is this to do in Samba? We have 3 DC's and
> from
> what I read, I need to demote one, change the IP then re-promote
> it... but
> I'm guessing it then won't be able to talk to the others because it
> will be
> on a different subnet.
>
> Is there any other way to do it, or is it just not possible?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

G'Day Peter,

Leaving aside the IP routing questions (that is just generic routing
issues) Samba should just update it's address once it finds a new one.

Samba can also listen on multiple IPs if they are local interfaces.

But why not just change to 192.168.0.0/22 and so have IPs
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.3.255 and so not need to renumber?

Anyway, not really our problem space.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett

--