[Samba] core dump from samba-tool when chnging user password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 25 02:19:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-08-24 at 12:48 -0400, Andrew Walker via samba wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:57 AM James B. Byrne via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, August 24, 2020 11:17, James B. Byrne wrote:
> > >
> > > On the other hand, the errors I report are likely solvable should
> >
> > someone with
> > > the ability to do so take note of them, so I am reporting this
> > > one.
> >
> > What I
> > > want to know is whether this should be reported as a bug or
> > > whether this
> > > problem has been solved in a more recent version of Samba.  I am
> > > not
> >
> > prepared
> > > to move from 4.10.15 until after the complete transition from the
> >
> > existing
> > > domain and DC is complete.  But, if it has been fixed then that
> > > would be
> >
> > useful
> > > to know.
> > >

> > As it turns out this is not the first report of this problem.  It
> > is
> > evidently
> > related to the talloc port in FreeBSD and may, or may not, have to
> > do with
> > jails.  There are open bug reports respecting this on the FreeBSD
> > bugzilla
> > tracking system.
> >

> Out of curiosity, can you provide a link to one of the FreeBSD bug
> reports?
> I believe the talloc port in FreeBSD uses arc4random() during
> talloc_init()
> to calculate magic.

A bit of an aside, but it would be incredibly awesome if the FreeBSD
port could adopt the same policy as, eg, Debian and not ship any
patches that are not upstream.

We do consider such patches, with justification, when submitted by or
on behalf of their authors.  See for example this recent MR submitted
by Debian: https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1420

It makes assessing issues like this much easier.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/