[Samba] core dump from samba-tool when chnging user password

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Aug 25 17:17:10 UTC 2020

On Mon, August 24, 2020 22:19, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> A bit of an aside, but it would be incredibly awesome if the FreeBSD
> port could adopt the same policy as, eg, Debian and not ship any
> patches that are not upstream.
>
> We do consider such patches, with justification, when submitted by or
> on behalf of their authors.  See for example this recent MR submitted
> by Debian: https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1420
>
> It makes assessing issues like this much easier.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I believe that Timur has indeed submitted patches of this nature. I recall
reading that they were deemed unacceptable because of some security related
difficulty in namespacing attributable to ZFS or the kernel in FreeBSd.

This sort of stuff is out of my realm and I am going on memory from a comment
that I read in a FreeBSD samba bug report some time ago.  I am sure that a
direct communication with Timur will obtain the precise details.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3