[Samba] steps to get automatic home folder created at user logon windows 10 with samba 4.9.5-Debian

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Thu Apr 30 03:35:13 UTC 2020

On 4/29/20 5:55 PM, miguel medalha via samba wrote:
> I don't know exactly what you are trying to achieve, but isn't the notion of
> "home folder" somewhat a thing of the past? I use Folder Redirection with
> Windows 10 clients (and Windows 7 before) and it works like a charm. User
> Profile folders are created automatically at first login. Furthermore, it
> gives most of the advantages of roaming profiles without their huge
> disadvantages in today's environment. All your users' profiles are nicely
> hosted in the same place on a server and you can very easily backup them
> all. To increase privacy, you can use "hide unreadable = yes" at the share
> level.

Just for my own education, isn't folder redirection limited to the "shell
folders" like Documents, Downloads, Desktop, Videos, Pictures and such?

With that said, I do have some users "shell folders" redirected to my Samba
server.

But, I also can do the home folder thing as well and can understand there might
be cases where that's preferred since not everything in your home (and correct
me if I'm wrong) is "redirectable" in the way I think we're talking about.