[Samba] Wiki Page Revisions

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Oct 29 15:53:49 UTC 2019

On 10/29/19 4:29 PM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

>> Please keep the wiki page simple. Anyone who wants to get
>> down and dirty
>> has to read man vfs_fruit and understand what the options are
>> really for
>> and he probably also has to understand the code.
>
> Its not about getting down and dirty, but about gettings a simple setup for samba version X.YY for users that are more beginners.

you have that now in the wiki. I you want to enhance it, feel free.

> And exactly my point a beginner, will fail, because i will most probely wrongly interpet things in the man pages.
> Not that its wrong in the man pages, but its sometimes hard to understand or hard to find the correct things.
>
> Just as example, and dont get me wrong, this looks really nice.
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_Samba_to_Work_Better_with_Mac_OS_X
>
> But, if im read it.
> Suggested parameters to use in smb.conf file of the Samba server to improve operability with Mac OS X clients..
> Ok.. (entering NOOB mode)... Which .. improve operability ?
> And (in NOOB mode), im asumming that part is only about TimeMachineBackups..
>
> Im also asking myself ..
>
> Load in modules (order is critical!) and enable AAPL extensions:
> I see :
> [GLOBAL]
>
> vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
>
> .... And later one..
>
> [TimeMachineBackup]
> vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
> fruit:time machine = yes
>

> Im (in NOOB mode) im wondering, ow.. That is also in global, so it is inherited to the share?
> Least clean it up to make it more readable, its inherited..

Sure, more cleanups, excellent, please go ahead. I think you're missing
the original point raised by the thread starter which is about me having
simplified/removed too much. So sure, there's probably more that still
can be simplified and clarified, while at the same time I might have
removed too much.

Again, feel free to enhance.

> Things like that is why i would like a pages with some real live/working examples.

Sure. I guess the last config fragment on the page is supposed to do
just that. Maybe split it into a seperate section and enhance it.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/