[Samba] Wiki Page Revisions

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Oct 29 15:29:26 UTC 2019

> Please keep the wiki page simple. Anyone who wants to get
> down and dirty
> has to read man vfs_fruit and understand what the options are
> really for
> and he probably also has to understand the code.

Its not about getting down and dirty, but about gettings a simple setup for samba version X.YY for users that are more beginners.
And exactly my point a beginner, will fail, because i will most probely wrongly interpet things in the man pages.
Not that its wrong in the man pages, but its sometimes hard to understand or hard to find the correct things.

Just as example, and dont get me wrong, this looks really nice.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_Samba_to_Work_Better_with_Mac_OS_X

But, if im read it.
Suggested parameters to use in smb.conf file of the Samba server to improve operability with Mac OS X clients..
Ok.. (entering NOOB mode)... Which .. improve operability ?
And (in NOOB mode), im asumming that part is only about TimeMachineBackups..

Im also asking myself ..

Load in modules (order is critical!) and enable AAPL extensions:
I see :
[GLOBAL]

vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr

.... And later one..

[TimeMachineBackup]
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:time machine = yes

Im (in NOOB mode) im wondering, ow.. That is also in global, so it is inherited to the share?
Least clean it up to make it more readable, its inherited..

Things like that is why i would like a pages with some real live/working examples.

Greetz,

Louis