[Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat May 25 18:20:06 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 9:12 AM Reindl Harald via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 24.05.19 um 23:07 schrieb Jobst Schmalenbach via samba:

> -----------------
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
> 2010-11-10
> Mix of Fedora 12 Fedora 13 and several modifications
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
> 2014-06-10
> Primarily Fedora 19 with several changes from 20 and later
>
> there are so much changes in every single package and their dependencies
> that you can't expect any configuration keep working, that's why we use
> Fedora, i don't want to re-install 30 VMs every few years and sit on old
> crap which has nothing in common with my workstations for years

Well, yes. This is why a heavily customized internal service, such as
can occur for Samba, would ideally be done on a new server environment
rather than upgraded in place. It's a six year difference in release
date, with the change of a lot of the underlying components.

> install from scratch and try to port your configurations, implement
> tests, write helper scripts for the migration and prepare yourself for
> months of work

Months? Unless the environment is really complex, I'd only expect a
few days of work. If you've the resources to set up a small test setup
with a few hosts, do that, then bring the configuration over to a new
server. Trying to do it live, on the same server, upgrading in place,
is kind of begging to trip over some fundamental change in Samba or
even in CIFS.

Jobst? Were you using the default samba-3 from CentOS 6, or the
upgraded samba4-4.2 package before the upgrade to CentOS 7, with
samba-4.8 ?