[Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 25 12:57:11 UTC 2019

Am 24.05.19 um 23:07 schrieb Jobst Schmalenbach via samba:
> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 03:45:31PM +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba (samba at lists.samba.org) wrote:
>> You should have looked before upgrading. ...
>> If its an AD-DC.
>
> Yes, very true!
>
> I really have "upgrading fatigue", this is my tenths bloody odd machine I am moving from 6.x to 7.x (all of those quite complicated servers) - but it is my first samba server. All the samba servers are internal servers unreachable from the outside, so loosing the updates of the OS was my least concern.
>
> I briefly researched samba a while back and did not expect a few minor version number changes make such a big difference. I also "expected" to have a variety of choices of Samba (as this had been the case for so many years) - e.g. older versions.

when did you have the choice of older versions ever?

you can downgrade to the version RHEL7 was released with but you never
had a choice keep a package at the version of the previous RHEL major
release

> One of the biggest issues I have faced doing my upgrades is not only the OS upgrade but nearly EVERY software package the OLD servers were using were upgraded, too, even if the package numbers did not differ that much - this was a major, major hassle especially making them stick with systemd and the libraries required to run it.
>
> I am so over this.
> It would have been nice to have an OLD version of Samba for CentOS 7.X - then to change this in a 1/2 year time once I upgraded the rest of the servers - JUST saying!

honestly upgrading from CentOS6 to CentOS7 won't work, most likely even
not for basic setups, 7 to 8 will be easier because the transition to
systemd is done and mature

-----------------

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
2010-11-10
Mix of Fedora 12 Fedora 13 and several modifications

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
2014-06-10
Primarily Fedora 19 with several changes from 20 and later

there are so much changes in every single package and their dependencies
that you can't expect any configuration keep working, that's why we use
Fedora, i don't want to re-install 30 VMs every few years and sit on old
crap which has nothing in common with my workstations for years

-----------------

that means two major upgrades per year but that scales far better than
every few years have all the changes of 7-10 releases at once given that
all servers where installed in 2008 with F9 and are now at F29 without
re-install and all dist-upgrades where "yum/dnf distro-sync" with no
downtimes longer than a ordinary kernel update

it's compareable with a rolling release but without breaking changes for
6 months and so you can override specific packages with own builds, for
example PHP/MySQL/Postfix and other business critical packages are
maintained by myself and upgraded *before* the dist-upgrade or even the
older version kept so that i can focus on "now let us see what mariadb
10.3 brings, 10.2 still runs fine on F29, keep it for now"

you have now 7-9 Fedora upgrades at the same time

install from scratch and try to port your configurations, implement
tests, write helper scripts for the migration and prepare yourself for
months of work