[Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 25 18:26:08 UTC 2019

Am 25.05.19 um 20:20 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>> install from scratch and try to port your configurations, implement
>> tests, write helper scripts for the migration and prepare yourself for
>> months of work
>
> Months? Unless the environment is really complex, I'd only expect a
> few days of work. If you've the resources to set up a small test setup
> with a few hosts, do that, then bring the configuration over to a new
> server. Trying to do it live, on the same server, upgrading in place,
> is kind of begging to trip over some fundamental change in Samba or
> even in CIFS.
samba is only a more or less irrelevant piece when you reinstall your
infrastructure from scratch given that in the real world a ton of
maintainance stuff, customizatiuons and so on needs to be done before
even consider put a machine in production

the jump from RHEL6 to RHEL7 is likely the largest in the last 20 years

well, you can sloppy deploy you stuff and waste your time later, i spent
2 months for my golden master and deployment sripts and hence a few
weeks ago dist-upgrade from Fedora 28 to Fedora 29 took a view hours for
30 machines with zero downtime