[Samba] Build error while compiling 4.9.8 when using gcc 4.8.5

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 2 19:10:54 UTC 2019

On 02/06/2019 19:53, Alex Braunegg via samba wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion, however that piece is a 'work in progress', but not the actual problem I am facing right now.
>
> FYI - domain controller piece works flawlessly on the 4.4.180 kernel build based around CentOS6 including many integration tests to Windows DC / replication and the like that I have configured.

I think what Nico was trying to point out was, Centos 6 is virtually
EOL, it will only get security updates.

You are trying to build Samba on an EOL OS version, using a kernel
version that Centos 8 will not have when it comes out and the rest of
the OS is very old, why ?

Surely you would be better off using Centos 7 or better still Fedora
(Note that Centos 6 is based on a mix of Fedora 12 & 13, Fedora is now
at version 30)

Which OS & version you use is your choice, but using Centos 6 to try and
compile a supported Samba version is bound to cause problems, more than
likely the required library versions will be too old. You may have to
change that much that the OS will no longer really be Centos 6.

Rowland