[Samba] SAmba 4.9 and Win XP Clients

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 17 15:17:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:53:56 -0500
Marco Shmerykowsky <marco at sce-engineers.com> wrote:

> I tried the NTLM setting.  No change.
>
> When I try to browse the network, I get the following error:
>
> "internal is not accessible.  You might not have permission to
> use this network resource.  The list of servers for this workgroup
> is not currently available."
>
> Here is the smb.conf from the AD machine.
>
> [global]
>          netbios name = MACHINE251
>          realm = INTERNAL.DOMAIN.COM
>          workgroup = INTERNAL
>          dns forwarder = 4.2.2.2
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/internal.domain.com/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [test-share]
>          path=/home/test-share
>          read only = no
>
> On 2019-02-17 9:15 am, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:06:21 -0500
> > Marco J Shmerykowsky PE <marco at sce-engineers.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks. Will check.
> >>
> >> I should have added that everything was working fine on the old
> >> winNT style samba domain setup.  Its something related to the new
> >> samba AD setup
> >
> > It might be and it probably is something to do with NTLMv1, but I am
> > still guessing, because you still haven't posted your smb.conf
> >
> > Rowland

OK, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your DC smb.conf, have
you set up the libnss-winbind links ?

You said 'but they can't see any of the machines on the network'. This
is normal, there is no network browsing in a Samba AD domain.

You also said 'I created a stand alone member server', this is a
contradiction in terms (it is either a standalone server or a Unix
domain member). You haven't posted the smb.conf for this, can you do so.

Rowland