[Samba] SAmba 4.9 and Win XP Clients

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Sun Feb 17 15:37:48 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-17 10:17 am, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:53:56 -0500
> Marco Shmerykowsky <marco at sce-engineers.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried the NTLM setting.  No change.
>>
>> When I try to browse the network, I get the following error:
>>
>> "internal is not accessible.  You might not have permission to
>> use this network resource.  The list of servers for this workgroup
>> is not currently available."
>>
>> Here is the smb.conf from the AD machine.
>>
>> [global]
>>          netbios name = MACHINE251
>>          realm = INTERNAL.DOMAIN.COM
>>          workgroup = INTERNAL
>>          dns forwarder = 4.2.2.2
>>          server role = active directory domain controller
>>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>
>> [netlogon]
>>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/internal.domain.com/scripts
>>          read only = No
>>
>> [sysvol]
>>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>>          read only = No
>>
>> [test-share]
>>          path=/home/test-share
>>          read only = no
>>
>> On 2019-02-17 9:15 am, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>> > It might be and it probably is something to do with NTLMv1, but I am
>> > still guessing, because you still haven't posted your smb.conf
>> >
>> > Rowland
>
> OK, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your DC smb.conf, have
> you set up the libnss-winbind links ?
>
> You said 'but they can't see any of the machines on the network'. This
> is normal, there is no network browsing in a Samba AD domain.
>
> You also said 'I created a stand alone member server', this is a
> contradiction in terms (it is either a standalone server or a Unix
> domain member). You haven't posted the smb.conf for this, can you do
> so.
>
> Rowland

Seems I can map a drive from the command line. (Didn't check that
- it was 2:00am and I was tired with fighting this stuff)
  The windows graphical way to map drives isn't working.
I guess no real issue if I can manually map drives.

Server smb.conf file (you helped with this one :) )
It's a domain member.

[global]
         workgroup = SCE-INTERNAL
         security = ADS
         realm = SCE-INTERNAL.SCE-ENGINEERS.COM
         server string = Samba 4 Client %h

         winbind use default domain = yes
         winbind expand groups = 2
         winbind refresh tickets = yes
         kerberos method = secrets and keytab

         ## map ids outside of domain to RDB files
         idmap config *:backend = tdb
         idmap config *:range = 2000-9999

         ## map ids from the domain
         idmap config SCE-INTERNAL : backend = rid
         idmap confog SCE-INTERNAL : range = 10000-999999

         # uncomment next line to allow loging
         # template shell = /bin/bash
         template homedir = /home/%U

         domain master = no