[Samba] Migrate DC from Small Business Server 2011 to Samba 4

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu Dec 19 14:52:28 UTC 2019

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Am?lie Le Jeune via samba wrote:

> Hello Thor,
>
> From our experience with one client whom had the same situation as you, we first migrated exchange to another mail system then we migrated the AD part.
> The SBS version we had to migration only allowed a secondary DC for a fixed period of time .
> The Exchange mail extensions were properly handled by Samba, even if they weren't used anymore.
> I don't remember the exact version of SBS it was though. By the way, a domain migration could still be a good idea since you domain ends with a . local suffix. A .lan or ad.yourpublicdomain.fr would be much better.
> However you'll have to join computers but if you create a new domain with the same SID from you old domain, you won't have to migrate user's profiles or shares.
> But in this case you can keep the exchange and the new domain side by side and so migrate the domain first .

Unfortunately my experience has been the opposite. I am to this day fighting with errors
produced when we run samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix.

other than that everything seems to work as advertised but it was a long road getting there.

It might have something to do with starting this journey in the 4.7/4.8 timeframe but I think
if I had it to do again I would most likely start a new domain.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org