[Samba] Migrate DC from Small Business Server 2011 to Samba 4

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Dec 19 08:42:22 UTC 2019

Small side note.

Read this before you deside the new domainname. :
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6761
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#appendix-G  < especially

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/909264/naming-conventions-in-active-directory-for-computers-domains-sites-and
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34981.active-directory-best-practices-for-internal-domain-and-network-names.aspx

Its worth ready and i suggest make a table of it.
If you look up for example all AD-DC rules, you'll end up with something like this.
hostname.dom.tld  (15char)(.dom.tld 49chars)  so, max total 63 length chars for your AD-DC FQDN namings.

Greetz,

Louis