[Samba] Samba 4.8.3 - Stand-alone server

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 20 07:24:19 UTC 2019

On 19/08/2019 21:29, Bob Wyatt wrote:
> Rowland,
>
> I wish to thank you for your patience with me and your responses...
> This note is also to seek some clarity, if I may...
> The clarity desired is prefixed with [BW]...
>
> Bob Wyatt

I think your problems all stem from your efforts to keep everything
separate ;-)

Even if you do use a standalone server, then your windows users (if you
want to use authentication) will have to be known to the standalone
server with the same password (unless they want to be asked for their
password every time).

If you are running a domain, I do not understand why you do not just
join the standalone server to the domain as a Unix domain member, all
your authentication problems would then go away.

Another name for a Windows PC that is not joined to a domain is a
standalone server, would you run a Windows machine in the same way that
you are running this Samba machine ?

If you insist on running Samba as a standalone server, then you should
create any Windows users, that you want to access it, as Unix & Samba
users using the Same password as the Windows user. You will then need to
come up with some way to change the passwords on the standalone server
when the users Window password is changed. Still want to run Samba as a
standalone server ?

Just one final thought, a group of standalone servers (Unix and/or
Windows) is called a workgroup and they were terrible to maintain once
you got past a dozen users/computers because of the user password
problem, why do you think Microsoft came up with domains in the first
place, they do not scale.

Rowland