[Samba] Windows cannot access \\server check the spelling of the name 0x800704cf

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 12 14:28:15 UTC 2019

Ps.

Why UNC Paths Break with April Creators Update. (build 1803 April 2018) and later.

! These builds 1804 are getting forced update to 1903.
(Tip: Avast antivirus users, remove Avast, and reinstall after if you pc keeps crashing at 85%.)

The reason why the UNC paths won't resolve in Windows 10 April Creators Update is because Microsoft has removed "SMB v1.0" and "CIFS" services due to a critical bug that can allow for remote code execution. In other words, hackers could take over your system. This bug was discovered March 14, 2017 but it has taken Microsoft this long to issue a "fix," which unfortunately breaks the network name resolution for a lot of users.

It is possible to re-enable SMB v1.0 using Powershell, but due to the vulnerability I highly recommend you do not and instead follow the fix described next.

Now its in the list so everybody can find it ;-)

Greetz,

Louis