[Samba] Windows cannot access \\server check the spelling of the name 0x800704cf

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 12 14:20:37 UTC 2019

Windows 10? Then this is normal behaivor.

Rowland forgot to ask.

The windows version??
Because, Error code 0x800704cf: The network location cannot be reached.  Is a windows error.

If you can access \\server.FQDN and not \\server

Start here: check if you firewall on the windows PC is set to "Work network"

Then what is set ? ( cmd : ipconfig /all )
??
Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : ( should be the same as on a linux server : hostname -d )
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ( should be the same as on a linux server : hostname -d )

If that is the case. ( same as hostname -d on linux )
Then i suggest, you verify if you server also has its PTR record configured.

A few other options to check or what might be a problem here.
The IpStack is kaput. Run: : netsh int ip reset

Or
Enable "Client for microsoft networks"
- From the Network and Sharing Center click Change Adapter Settings
- Right Click on Adapter >> Select Properties
- Check if "Client For Microsoft Networks" is installed? If not;
- Click Install
- Double-Click Clients
- Choose Client for Microsoft Networks
- Click Ok >> OK