[Samba] User mapping/login issue

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 25 09:49:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 11:26:25 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > I will say this again, the Windows 'Guest' user has nothing to do
> > with the Linux guest user. On a Samba machine, any user can be
> > mapped to the guest user (usually 'nobody') provided the conditions
> > are right.
>
> Yes, but then negotitate is going on, which user is send back from
> samba to windows? ( withing the smb protocol ?) And keep in mind user
> "guest" also disabled in windows side... I dont know the depth of
> this..
>
> As shown in the MS link, ( the one close above here), does say..
> SMB1 continues to use guest access and guest fallback.
>
> But that implicates that you need SMB2 for this and..
>
> if you want to enable insecure guest access, you can configure the
> following Group Policy settings: Computer
> configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
> "Enable insecure guest logons"
>
> Its one he could try also.
> But with you settings, if it does work, i still have a mixed feeling
> here..

When you connect from Windows, you connect as a user. This user can be
a normal user or it could be the Windows 'Guest' user (if it isn't
turned off), Samba doesn't care. If 'map to guest = yes' is set in
smb.conf, then any unknown users will be mapped to the Unix guest user.
The unknown user could be called 'fred', or 'DOMAIN\fred', or 'Guest'(if
not turned off), they will all be mapped to the local Unix guest user
(usually 'nobody'). I hope you can see from this that the username
isn't important for allowing guest access, it is that the username must
not exist on the Samba server.

Rowland