[Samba] User mapping/login issue - at least partially resolved

Stephen Davies sdavies at sdc.com.au
Sat Apr 27 03:15:30 UTC 2019

On 25/04/19 19:19, Rowland Penny wrote:

> When you connect from Windows, you connect as a user. This user can be
> a normal user or it could be the Windows 'Guest' user (if it isn't
> turned off), Samba doesn't care. If 'map to guest = yes' is set in
> smb.conf, then any unknown users will be mapped to the Unix guest user.
> The unknown user could be called 'fred', or 'DOMAIN\fred', or 'Guest'(if
> not turned off), they will all be mapped to the local Unix guest user
> (usually 'nobody'). I hope you can see from this that the username
> isn't important for allowing guest access, it is that the username must
> not exist on the Samba server.

Earlier I said that access was working for local clients but that was not
entirely correct.

It turns out that the person who did the upgrades to windows 10 on the local
clients changed some of the workgroup entries so those clients were also
unable to access shares.

While waiting for this to be fixed, I tried connecting using BENPARTS\xxx and
it worked.

I am waiting to hear from any of the remote clients but it's a fair bet that
this will work for them too. Watch this space.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen