[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Jamie Jackson jamiejaxon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:39:53 UTC 2018

I'm not a sysadmin (so I don't have domain admin skills), I'm just coming
at this as a user of these (flaky) hosts, but I'll try to answer the
questions.

If autorid is an odd/problematic setting, I can pass that info on to the
sysadmins. I looked at
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-May/191544.html (since I don't
really know the difference between these settings), but I don't know how
many back-end AD servers there are. BTW, *is* the autoid setting
potentially problematic?

I'm also not sure how to know is sssd is in use or not, so these are the
things I thought to try:

$ systemctl -a | grep '\(smb\|samba\|sssd\|winbind\)'
  winbind.service
                                       loaded    active   running   Samba
Winbind Daemon
$ sssd --help