[Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Sep 1 17:05:06 UTC 2018

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 12:39:53 -0400
Jamie Jackson <jamiejaxon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not a sysadmin (so I don't have domain admin skills), I'm just
> coming at this as a user of these (flaky) hosts, but I'll try to
> answer the questions.
>
> If autorid is an odd/problematic setting, I can pass that info on to
> the sysadmins. I looked at
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-May/191544.html (since I
> don't really know the difference between these settings), but I don't
> know how many back-end AD servers there are. BTW, *is* the autoid
> setting potentially problematic?

It shouldn't be a problem, but I have never used it and I think it has
more place in a set up with multiple domains.
There are a few different backends, but the main ones are 'ad', 'rid'
and 'autorid'.

The first ('ad') requires adding rfc2307 attributes to AD,
The other two don't, they calculate the Unix ID's from domain RID's
You can find more info here:

> I'm also not sure how to know is sssd is in use or not, so these are
> the things I thought to try:
>
> $ systemctl -a | grep '\(smb\|samba\|sssd\|winbind\)'
>   winbind.service
>                                        loaded    active   running
> Samba Winbind Daemon
> $ sssd --help
> -bash: sssd: command not found
> $ sudo find / -xdev -name 'sssd.conf'
> $

No it looks like sssd isn't installed, which is a good thing as it has
its own version of some of the winbind libs and these could have been
interfering with winbind.

What is the DC(s) ?

I think you need to increase the log level in smb.conf, try changing
the '0' to '3' and see if anything pops out.

Rowland