[Samba] rid and ad backends differences

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed May 6 03:11:41 MDT 2015

Ok, if you planning to have more servers, think of the following.

Are you adding other software which requere uid/gid, like mail server solutions.
Then choose the AD backend.
Do you want to login with a user with for example  ssh, and you want to login on all servers.
( with for example, an nfs based users homedir )
then the AD backend is a must, imo.

If you use the servers only for windows, then yes, you can have RID.

but i still prefer, the AD backend, to im flexible to move all ways in windows and linux.
It your choose.

Greetz,

Louis