[Samba] Moving roaming profiles between domains, risky?

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon May 14 12:57:35 UTC 2018

> But i've tried to move/copy old profile to the new domain, and seems
> work, with no glitch. I've done simply:
> 	root at vdmsv1:/srv/samba/profiles# rsync -av --progress --xattrs --rsh=ssh <oldntserver>:/srv/samba/profiles/gaio.V2 .
> 	chown -R :"domain users" gaio.V2
> 	<run a script that fix group permission, prevent settings ACL mask incorrectly>
[...]
> Can i be confident that something strage does not brake all things
> sooner or later?

I reply myself. Does not work.

Probably worked for me because i'm in 'domain admins' group, eg i'm an
administrator.

I've tried as a normal user, and logon failed mysteriously (error
starting windows profile services, something like that) and with only
some generic winlogon errors in windows events.

Probably i've to sythetize correctly the ACL in 'user.SAMBA_PAI' to
have it work, but... it takes less time to move 'Desktop' and some
'Appdata/Roaming/...' folders.

Thanks.