[Samba] Moving roaming profiles between domains, risky?

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri May 11 10:38:10 UTC 2018

OK, now i've to start to move the big part of my users from my old
NT-like domains to my new AD domain.

I've setup roaming profile in the new domain following the wiki
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles, 'using
windows ACL') and for new profiles works like a charm.

But i've tried to move/copy old profile to the new domain, and seems
work, with no glitch. I've done simply:

	root at vdmsv1:/srv/samba/profiles# rsync -av --progress --xattrs --rsh=ssh <oldntserver>:/srv/samba/profiles/gaio.V2 .
	chown -R :"domain users" gaio.V2
	<run a script that fix group permission, prevent settings ACL mask incorrectly>

Clearly domains have different SID, and looking (some sample) at
permissions in files of a copied profiles and a created one,
effectively there's some differences (eg, the copied profiles have no
'user.SAMBA_PAI' extended attributes).

So, seems to work but it is not exactly the same thing.

Can i be confident that something strage does not brake all things
sooner or later?

Someone have some feedback on that?

Thanks.