[Samba] Moving roaming profiles between domains, risky?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon May 14 13:48:26 UTC 2018

Hai,

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, this is a risky move.
Did you make sure this the DOMAIN SID's are exact the same between old and new servers?

This:
rsync -av --progress --xattrs --rsh=ssh
Does not copy the (windows) acl's.

Look at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bidirectional_Rsync/Unison_based_SysVol_replication_workaround
Howto to this with rsync and unison, the combination catches the acl also.

I suggest the following, or do the copy from a windows client or the following.

Create a new user on the new server and login /logout with a pc.

Check the user profile rights with getfacl
Check the user homedir right with getfacl.

And set the correct rights back after the copy.
Its a bit the same as my "check-get-sysvol" script.

https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-check-set-sysvol.sh
If you have a look, the function : Create_DC_SYVOL_ACL_FILE
With the layout you want, and you need to adapt that to your users profile and home folder.

I hope it explains enough.

Greetz,

Louis