[Samba] DKIM, DMARC, mailman. Oh Joy!

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 28 19:04:21 UTC 2018

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 20:49:26 +0200
Reindl Harald via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 28.03.2018 um 20:21 schrieb Andrew Bartlett via samba:
> > On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 19:11 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 06:51:50 +1300
> >> Andrew Bartlett via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> are you sure about that Andrew ?
> >
> > All my samba list messages are 'munged' as I described.
> >
> >> If I log into Mailman and go to 'Reply-To: header munging' it
> >> tells me that we aren't removing any existing 'Reply-To' headers
> >> and replies to list messages are directed to 'Poster', which, on
> >> the face of it, sounds like it is adding 'Reply-To' headers, but
> >> the 'help' says this:
> >
> > Perhaps a DKIM option overrides it.  Either way it is clear in the
> > mails:
> >
> > From: Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
>
> thanks for step in!
>
> so "I have checked. You say that you are not adding it, so it
> must be coming from somewhere else" was nothing else than look into
> some configs but not an actual (random) mail from the list - makes me
> another sad panda given the wasted time when i prove after 15 years
> working as mailadmin it's not from my side
>
> "Either we change the From (and so need to set a Reply-To otherwise it
> becomes impossible to do a private reply, which is needed sometimes)"
>
> don't get me wrong: but for the sake of 1 out of the million intended
> privates replies throw out the child with the bath and set every
> single message so that "reply" is always a off-list repsponse can't
> be called a sane solution
>
> "Historically, we used to set reply-to to the mailing list" was also
> wrong, don't mangle with that header at all - it's senders territory
>
> anyways, make the "reply" button to a off-list reply is *always* wrong
> in a maling-list

I have checked the various Mailman options and have found this:

Should the Sender header be rewritten for this mailing list to avoid
stray bounces? Yes is recommended.

and this is indeed set to 'Yes'

The help for this option refers to RFC2822, amongst which is
'Reply-to'. As far as I can see this is the only other option in
Mailman that even mentions 'Reply-To' and then only in a roundabout way.

If it is DKIM that is adding the 'Reply-To', then this is beyond my
control.

What I will say is, Reindl, you are the only person that has ever
complained about this problem.

Rowland