[Samba] DKIM, DMARC, mailman. Oh Joy!

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 28 19:25:28 UTC 2018

> I have checked the various Mailman options and have found this:
>
> Should the Sender header be rewritten for this mailing list to avoid
> stray bounces? Yes is recommended.
>
> and this is indeed set to 'Yes'
>
> The help for this option refers to RFC2822, amongst which is
> 'Reply-to'. As far as I can see this is the only other option in
> Mailman that even mentions 'Reply-To' and then only in a roundabout way.
>
> If it is DKIM that is adding the 'Reply-To', then this is beyond my
> control.
>
> What I will say is, Reindl, you are the only person that has ever
> complained about this problem

because i was about to acuse somebody why in the world he responds to a
mail from me off-list and one simple look showed he was innopcent
(leaving that proper mail-lcients have a reply-to-list button based on
the list-headers)

most people don't look what they are doing and so don't realize that it
became a off-list thread and if you wonder why some discussions appeared
to have stopped in the middle now you know where they ended and just
press "reply" shows why this is bad
_________________

what made me upset is all your discussion back and forth when a simple
look at the mail-source shows what's going on and "We are not going to
agree on this, Mailman is not adding the 'Reply-To' , I have checked.
You say that you are not adding it, so it must be coming from somewhere
else, but where is unknown. Could it be Thunderbird?" when i showed
already the full headers of the outbound mail and that my own message
after go through the list has it added

your check should have been just make sure your client *not* adds the
header (a quick look in the sent folder) and than look at the inbound
message containing "Reply-To: Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>" instead
pretend my client invented that header - frankly given "From: Rowland
Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>" that's technically impossible -
from where should it guess "rpenny at samba.org"?

thunderbird can't add it magically when it's not in the sent folder
because the sent-folder on imap is nothing than a 1:1 copy after smtpd
repsoned with a 2xx status code

"If it is DKIM that is adding the 'Reply-To', then this is beyond my
control" is one thing but insist that's not a issue on the samba side
against a seasoned mailadmin is somehow insulting