[Samba] Odd default group behaviour.

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:32:59 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> Has your user logged in ? There were winbind changes in 4.6.0 that
>>> meant that you get 'Domain Users as the primary group if the user
>>> hasn't logged in, more info here:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.6_Features_added/changed#winbind_changes
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> No and likely will not on that system. I will try with a test user
>> that is also not reporting correctly.
>>>

> Still not working right
>
> ldapu is a function I wrote to use ldapsearch
>
> ldapu jefftest|grep -ie uidnumber -e gidnumber
> uidNumber: 11507
> gidNumber: 31025
>
> even logging in as jefftest I get as follows
>
> jefftest::daddles { ~ }-> id jefftest
> uid=11507(jefftest) gid=8513(domain users) groups=8513(domain
> users),31025(jeffs_general_group),8918648(vpn_users),8000(staff),8004(research),31036(insightiq)

Interesting maybe I was running "net cache flush" the wrong way. I was
doing it after stopping winbind then I would start winbind back up.
Today I tried it without stopping winbind and logged in as jefftest.
The jefftest account now correctly shows with id.

jefftest::daddles { ~ }-> id jefftest
uid=11507(jefftest) gid=31025(jeffs_general_group)
groups=31025(jeffs_general_group),31036(insightiq),8004(research),8513(domain
users),8000(staff),8918648(vpn_users)