[Samba] Odd default group behaviour.

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:56:09 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:32 AM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No and likely will not on that system. I will try with a test user
>>> that is also not reporting correctly.
>>>>

>> Still not working right
>>
>> ldapu is a function I wrote to use ldapsearch
>>
>> ldapu jefftest|grep -ie uidnumber -e gidnumber
>> uidNumber: 11507
>> gidNumber: 31025
>>
>> even logging in as jefftest I get as follows
>>
>> jefftest::daddles { ~ }-> id jefftest
>> uid=11507(jefftest) gid=8513(domain users) groups=8513(domain
>> users),31025(jeffs_general_group),8918648(vpn_users),8000(staff),8004(research),31036(insightiq)
>>
> Interesting maybe I was running "net cache flush" the wrong way. I was
> doing it after stopping winbind then I would start winbind back up.
> Today I tried it without stopping winbind and logged in as jefftest.
> The jefftest account now correctly shows with id.
>
> jefftest::daddles { ~ }-> id jefftest
> uid=11507(jefftest) gid=31025(jeffs_general_group)
> groups=31025(jeffs_general_group),31036(insightiq),8004(research),8513(domain
> users),8000(staff),8918648(vpn_users)

I decided to try and change the group of jefftest and do some more experiments.

I replicated the servers via ADSS(Active Directory Sites and Services)
starting on the NTDS Settings of the one I made the change on and
replicated the other servers
Then I did the same on the other 2

> ldapu jefftest | grep -ie uidnumber -e gidnumber
Still have a valid key jsadowski at MIND.UNM.EDU 03/14/2018 17:25:25
uidNumber: 11507
gidNumber: 31026
> id jefftest
uid=11507(jefftest) gid=31025(jeffs_general_group)
groups=31025(jeffs_general_group),31036(insightiq),8004(research),8513(domain
users),8000(staff),8918648(vpn_users)
root::daddles { ~ }-> net cache flush
> id jefftest
uid=11507(jefftest) gid=31025(jeffs_general_group)
groups=31025(jeffs_general_group),31036(insightiq),8004(research),8513(domain
users),8000(staff),8918648(vpn_users)
logged out and back in as jefftest
jefftest::daddles { ~ }-> id jefftest
uid=11507(jefftest) gid=31025(jeffs_general_group)
groups=31025(jeffs_general_group),31036(insightiq),8004(research),8513(domain
users),8000(staff),8918648(vpn_users)

Still has not changed. Am I replicating the servers incorrectly? Each
server when I login and look at the jefftest user looks correct.