[Samba] 2 WINS Servers and WINS FORWARDING

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 18 08:56:56 UTC 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:58:07 +0200
FreeBSD User via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I have a special L2 VPN connected samba deployment setup and I want
> to make sure the name resolution arrangement is the best for the
> network.
>
> Setup : network 1 + Samba1<<SAME IP range>> <L2 VPN> network2 <<SAME
> IP
> range>> + Samba2
>
> I have noticed that the wins server and wins support options are
> non-inclusive.
>
> Samba2:
>          name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
>          max wins ttl = 518400
>          min wins ttl = 21600
>          wins proxy = No
>          wins server = 1.2.3.4
>          wins support = No
>          wins hook =
>
> A samba server can be either a wins client or a wins server. In
> client mode it still respond to:
>
> nmblookup -R -U $SERVER <NETBIOS NAME>
>
> but only if it's asked it's own name, not others on the network.
>
> Here is what I would like to accomplish:
>
>    option netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
>    option netbios-node-type 2;
>
> On network 1 the dhcp points all the clients to use Samba 1 as WINS
> and on network 2 Samba2 as WINS but I also would like to use Samba2
> as a wins slave to get its data from Samba 1 if the connection is OK
> but if the VPN breaks up then it should build up it's own list on the
> remaining segment and take care of the role until it reestablishes
> again.

There is no such thing as a 'wins slave', a Samba computer is either a
client or a server. You can only have one wins server in a subnet, but
clients can be set to ask multiple wins servers in turn.

There is however a big problem, networking browsing is going away,
Microsoft no longer recommends using it and recommends DNS instead, in
fact, if your machines are in an Active Directory domain, you should
only use DNS.

Rowland