[Samba] 2 WINS Servers and WINS FORWARDING

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 19 08:12:30 UTC 2018

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 09:19:50 +0200
freebsd at tango.lu wrote:

> On 2018-06-18 10:56, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:58:07 +0200
> > FreeBSD User via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> I have a special L2 VPN connected samba deployment setup and I want
> >> to make sure the name resolution arrangement is the best for the
> >> network.
> >>
> >> Setup : network 1 + Samba1<<SAME IP range>> <L2 VPN> network2
> >> <<SAME IP
> >> range>> + Samba2
> >>
> >> I have noticed that the wins server and wins support options are
> >> non-inclusive.
> >>
> >> Samba2:
> >>          name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
> >>          max wins ttl = 518400
> >>          min wins ttl = 21600
> >>          wins proxy = No
> >>          wins server = 1.2.3.4
> >>          wins support = No
> >>          wins hook =
> >>
> >> A samba server can be either a wins client or a wins server. In
> >> client mode it still respond to:
> >>
> >> nmblookup -R -U $SERVER <NETBIOS NAME>
> >>
> >> but only if it's asked it's own name, not others on the network.
> >>
> >> Here is what I would like to accomplish:
> >>
> >>    option netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
> >>    option netbios-node-type 2;
> >>
> >> On network 1 the dhcp points all the clients to use Samba 1 as WINS
> >> and on network 2 Samba2 as WINS but I also would like to use Samba2
> >> as a wins slave to get its data from Samba 1 if the connection is
> >> OK but if the VPN breaks up then it should build up it's own list
> >> on the remaining segment and take care of the role until it
> >> reestablishes again.
> >>

> > There is no such thing as a 'wins slave', a Samba computer is
> > either a client or a server. You can only have one wins server in a
> > subnet, but clients can be set to ask multiple wins servers in turn.
> >

> OR what will happen if there are 2? It seems they both try to build
> their own machine lists although the samba which is the DOMAIN MASTER
> have the most complete list.

They will 'fight' for which is domain master.

> > There is however a big problem, networking browsing is going away,
> > Microsoft no longer recommends using it and recommends DNS instead,
> > in fact, if your machines are in an Active Directory domain, you
> > should only use DNS.
>
> That is none of my concern, I will never deal with anything newer
> than Windows 7, that is where the windows line ends for me for good.

Windows 7 is in extended support until Jan 2020, I suppose you mean you
will leave your present job before that and leave clearing up the mess
to whoever replaces you, but hey, why should you care.

> I guess what I try to accomplish could also be done with the help of
> DNS.
>
>   dns proxy
> boolean
> Wenn auf yes gesetzt, wird ein Samba-WINS-Server DNS suchen, wenn es
> keinen Namen in WINS finden kann.
>
> One samba would be DNS master the other slave, bind can keep them in
> sync, the modifications in the zones could happen on the master only.
> Then both wins takes info from it's own local bind9 server and if the
> network splits this is still available.

I suppose you could try that, but do not use aliases unless you also
create a CNAME record.

Of course the proper way to fix this would be to upgrade to AD, but it
is your choice.

Rowland